Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Website Conversion problem

I've just finished an AdWords campaign report for a client and had a problem: there is no way that their AdWords campaign is going to work well because their website is terrible.

If you look at it, you can't work out who they are selling to. You can't even really work out what they sell. In fact they make the mistake that many sites make of assuming their sales prospects know what they do and why they should do business with them whereas in practice it is difficult to tell.

My problem is made worse by the fact that I am running this campaign as a sub-contractor and whilst I have asked several times what the main objective for their AdWords campaign is, I have never been told. It could be that they wish to sell to consumers or it could be that they are aimng at business to business sales. Their website does not make it clear.

And here's something really terrible: I ran the AdWords keyword tool over the site to see what keywords it would suggest and it came up with nothing. Reason: it couldn't work out what the site was about either.

This is because most of the site is just graphics or Flash animations and there is Zero SEO in the design. No use of H1 or H2 tags. No use of Alt tags. Even the text is in fact graphics and from a usability perspective some text graphics are links and some are not even though they are all the same colour.

A hopeless case I suspect and whilst I have reported all my thoughts to them I strongly suspect that the AdWords campaign will get the blame!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home