Friday, April 28, 2006

A wasted day?

I spent what I now feel was too much time on a problem yesterday - a classic case of not being able to see the wood for the trees. I've been grappling with the best way forward for some websites I run, trying to work out whether to
  1. Outsource via Elance.com
  2. Do it myself using FrontPage (which I have and don't really like)
  3. Do it myself using XSitePro (which I have and do like)
  4. Buy Dreamweaver - which I downloaded for a 30 day trial in the morning
I want to create a site that is very easy to update, doesn't look like a template site, allows the inclusion of AdSense ads easily and can act both as an instruction site AND a sales site at a later date.

The key thing with nearly any website of any complexity is the ability to update and for that reason I wanted to keep things simple. XSitePro will let me update very rapidly whilst maintaining an automatic site map (and Google Sitemap too).

But then so will Dreamweaver I think. FrontPage won't, at least not the version I have and I notice that Microsoft say somewhere on their site that the FrontPage range is coming to an end.

So it was a balance between XSitePro which I know and am reasonably familiar with or learning Dreamweaver which whilst looking powerful undoubtedly has a learning curve that is steep and long.

When I really thought about it the problem with XSitePro is simply the lack of templates that I could edit. It took me quite a while to realise this though hence the wasted time.

But I've now found a solution I think: there's a lady in Canada who does XSitePro templates. I phoned her up for a chat and will ask her to create a nice template for me next week.

Problem solved. (But it could have been solved in about 5 minutes really).

However, the day was not entirely wasted because I picked up a new AdWords client too and wrote several pages of a new book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home