Monday, March 20, 2006

Cookie duration - why businesses just don't get it.

Bugbear this. Why do businesses that apparently want to increase their overall share of the market by using affiliates limit the duration of their cookies? As an affiliate, I want to see the maximum cookie life possible so that I get the maximum benefit from any traffic I generate for the companies I work with yet far to often I see companies offering a cookie of 15 days.

Get real guys.

Just think this through a little. What harm does it do you to increase your cookie life? Compare that with the benefit to your affiliates.

If you really want affiliates on your side, then treat them properly, don't get bogged down in some bizarre paranoia about only rewarding affiliates who generate a sale in 2 weeks. Business often takes longer than that. You know that. I know that.

So here's a thought. I actively avoid affiliate programs that have such short cookie durations. There are better deals available on the internet.

Increase your cookie life and you will motivate more people to become your affiliates as well as spurring on the affiliates you already have.

Don't you want your affiliates to make sales for you? Isn't that the point of them?

Go for 365 day cookie duration or more. If you think this will just cost you more commission then you don't understand how to nurture an army of affiliates and you are only doing online marketing in a half-hearted fashion. Get off the fence. Make a decision. If you want affiliates treat them properly. If you don't, get out of the market and close down your program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home